Thursday, May 29, 2008

HoneyHoney sweetens up San Jose at Bella Mia

So first let me clarify one thing about this band courtesy of Suzanne herself...it's HoneyHoney....one word, not two! No matter how you spell it, HoneyHoney = one sweet experience for your ears.

So Ben and Suzanne were in San Jose's downtown spot Bella Mia (do you have to italicize the name of a restaurant?? whatever) along with Ferras courtesy of Mix 106.5

I could tell you boring things like the playlist, (O_o I've done that before...) how we heard songs such as Bouncing Ball, Little Toy Gun or Give Yourself to Me (among others). But I've found that simply hearing names of songs played doesn't really give you the feeling of actually experiencing it yourself...I may as well start reading out of the dictionary (aardvark, ambiguous, apple...)...well that and I was having too much fun enjoying the show to keep track of the setlist!

What I will tell you of is how Ben and Suzanne have a way of making you feel like you're sitting at a family reunion (or bah mitzvah, thanks for that Ben), not with a bunch of random strangers. Their banter with the audience, with themselves makes you laugh til your sides hurt. You learn things about their music that bring a whole new meaning to a song (Let's just say Little Toy Gun isn't referring to your normal "sidearm." Still confused?? Ask Ben, he wrote the song!)

But the thing I noticed most of all, was the audience. Talking to people before the show, not everyone was familiar with HoneyHoney or their music, some were. Probably the next best thing to actually hearing the band is watching others get into the music. Watching them transform from spectators, merely watching what's going on around them, to participants, feeling the energy of the song, letting it become part of them.

Ok, maybe I'm reaching too far with that last line, but it really is a cool thing watching people as they get into the music. That's the cool thing about music, it brings people together.

Oh, and the previously unknown (at least to me) Ferras? That boy has some amazing vocals. And even more, some amazing lyrics and stories to go with the songs.

Now go and discover new music while I cross out another "to do" on my life accomplishment list..... (use the word aardvark in a blog.....check)

No comments: